Charlotte Moorman (1933-1991)
WBAI-FM "Avant Garde Concert III"
Originally broadcast December 12 & 17, 1964. A Recording of the Annual Avant Garde Festival Program of August 30, 1964.
From an original announcement card: Avant Garde Concert III. Third in a series of concerts recorded by WBAI this fall at Judson Hall. Cellist Charlotte Moorman is assisted by pianist Nam June Paik and soprano saxophonist Terry Jennings. In the Cage opus she utilizes not only her cello but additional whistles, chains, balloons (for breaking), etc. with recorded supplements such as the Queen Mary's departure blast and sounds from Big Ben. In Stockhausen's 'Plus-Minus', Miss Moorman is assisted by a full-size robot named Robot Opera, built by Nam June Paik.
1. JOHN CAGE, 26'1.1499" For a String Player
2. EARLE BROWN, Synergy (World Premiere) (Tape and Cello)
3. GIUSEPPE CHIARI, Per Arco (American Premiere) (for tape and reactions of a cellist)
4. KARLHEINZ STOCKHAUSEN, Plus-Minus (realized by Paik) (World Premiere)
5. TERRY JENNINGS, Piece for Cello and Saxophone (the composer plays saxophone)
6. TOSHI ICHIYANAGI, Duet II (American Premiere)
Charlotte Moorman interviewed by Harvey Matusow
Interviewed at BBC New York Studios, NYC October 1969.
Subject: Avant Garde Arts in NY
7. Part 1
8. Part 2
Charlotte's Answering Machine
9. Answering Machine: Labeled "Lennon, Cage, Yoko, Thanksgiving, Paik. November 24-December 6th"
Duet II by Toshi Ichiyanagi
10. Duet II by Toshi Ichiyanagi [Charlotte Moorman, cello. Nam June Paik, piano (rehearsal)]
Charlotte Moorman performance: TV Cello with Nam June Paik (Reflection Press)
11. TV Cello with Nam June Paik: Part 1
12. TTV Cello with Nam June Paik: Part 2
Concert for TV Cello and Videotapes, Nam June Paik with Charlotte Moorman, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, 9/82
Performed by Charlotte Moorman with Paul Garrin.
13. Concert for TV Cello and Videotapes: Part 1
14. Concert for TV Cello and Videotapes: Part 2
15. Concert for TV Cello and Videotapes: Part 3
The Long Hot Summer by Jackson Mac Low
From the 3rd Annual Avant Garde Festival of New York, Judson Hall 1966. Performers included Yoko Ono and Takehisa Kosugi, amongst others.
16. The Long Hot Summer
Waiting for Commercial by Nam June Paik
Performed by David Behrman and Charlotte Moorman
17. Waiting for Commercial
26'1.1499" For a String Player by John Cage
Short version from unique lacquer disc.
18. 26'1.1499" For a String Player
Charlotte Moorman Live at Mills College 3/8/74
Variations on a Theme by Saint-Saens, Nam June Paik
19. Variations on a Theme by Saint-Saens
So Langweilig Wei Moglich, Nam June Paik, Charlotte Moorman, July 25, 1966, Aachen, Germany
20. So Langweilig Wei Moglich, Part 1
21. So Langweilig Wei Moglich, Part 2
Assembly and mastering by Stephen Vitello.
Courtesy Barbara Moore/Bound & Unbound & Andrew Gurian, © Estate of Frank Pileggi.
22. Charlotte Moorman and David Tudor (November 26, 1970)
Charlotte Moorman and David Tudor play a number of pieces by LaMonte Young, Morton Feldman, Ornette Coleman, Earle Brown, Philip Corner, & John Cage. The Corner piece consists largely of detailed performance notes that are followed exactly, much to the amusement of the audience. 73 min., KPFA
Charlotte Moorman in UbuWeb Film
Charlotte Moorman in UbuWeb Historical
UbuWeb Sound | UbuWeb
PennSound | CENTRO | EPC | WFMU