UbuWeb | UbuWeb Papers
Manifesto of Polypoetry
From St. Art: The Visual Poetry of bpNichol (Confederation Centre Art Gallery & Museum, Canada, 2000)
Enzo Minarelli's audio works on UbuWeb Sound Poetry
1. Only the development of the new technologies will mark the progress of sound poetry : the electronic media and the computer are and will be the true protagonists.
2. The object langauge must be increasingly investigated in its smallest and largest parts : the word, basis of sound experimentation, takes the characters of multi-word, broken into its inner body, restitched at its exterior. The word must be able to free its own manifold sonorities.
3. The exploitation of sound has no limits. It must be carried beyond the border of pure noise, a signifying noise : linguistic and oral ambiguity has a sense only if it completely uses the instrument of the mouth.
4. The recovery of the sense of time (the minute,the second), apart from the laws of harmony and disharmony, because only through editing is the right parameter of synthesis and balance and balance found.
5. Language is rhythm. Tone values are real vectors of meaning : first an act of rationality, then an act of emotion .
6. Polypoetry is devised and realized for the live show; it gives to sound poetry the role of prima donna or starting point to link relations with musicality (accompaniment or rhythmic line), mimicry, movement, and dance (acting or extension or integration of the sound text), image (television or slide projection, picture or installation, by association, explanation or alternative and redundance), light, space, costumes and objects.
(Published for the first time in the catalogue Tramesa d'Art, Valencia, Spain, 1987.)